So, there are actually three little recipes here…
One of my favorite quick and easy meals is the stir fry. So many variations, so easy. Usually I use a store-bought protein, but this time I put on my kneading gloves (or rather, took off my rings) and got to work. It was easy! And much easier on my wallet. I bought the vital wheat gluten flour in bulk, and it ended up costing maybe 20% what it would’ve cost had I purchased the prepared seitan. Plus, you get to control the flavor! Mine turned out pretty spicy. I think next time I’ll try baking the faux beef after cooking it, as it was just a tad rubbery. Also, I would make several of her other faux meat flavors at a time- she also has “turkey,” “fish,” and “chicken” to try… so if I’m standing over the stove for over an hour, at least I’m multitasking! I can’t wait to knead again!!!
Basic Instant Gluten
1/2 c instant vital wheat gluten flour
1/2 c water
In a medium bowl, stir together the wheat gluten and water until it becomes elastic. Knead for 5 minutes and set aside. Makes 2 large or 4 small servings.
Here’s what we have so far:
All cut up and ready for a broth bath (don’t let them sit up against each other for too long, or else they’ll glob back together!):
Faux Beef
2 c water
1/4 c tamari
2 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (I used extra)
1/4 tsp dried sage
In a large saucepan, bring all of the broth ingredients to a boil. Slice the gluten into steaks, chunks or strips and drop them carefully into broth. Reduce heat and cover with lid. Let simmer for 50-60 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until broth has reduced completely. Use “beef” immediately in your dish of choice or store in the refrigerator (for up to 6 days) or the freezer (for up to 6 months). For a chewier texture, once you’ve boiled the “beef,” bake it at 350 in a lightly oiled baking dish for 30 minutes. Makes 2 large or 4 small servings.
Here’s the broth bath,  30 minutes in:
I cooked this for just over an hour, and there was about 1/2 c of thick broth left. Perfect to add to my stir fry! I put it in the fridge to go into our dinner that night. Here’s what went in to the final dish. I didn’t measure the ingredients, so you should adjust to what feels and tastes right to you, especially when it comes to that sauce!
Faux Beef Broccoli Ginger Stir Fry
2 c brown rice
1 tbsp canola oil
1/3 c chopped red onion
1 large crown broccoli florets
1 recipe faux beef
Sauce
1 tbsp agave syrup
3 tbsp Braggs
1 tsp chili sauce (such as Sriracha)
1 tsp powdered ginger (fresh would be even better)
Start cooking your rice. Prepare your sauce and set it aside. Heat the oil in a large wok or saucepan, and add the onions and broccoli. Once the broccoli is almost cooked to your liking (we like ours pretty green and crispy still), add the faux beef and any broth you have left over. Since it’s already cooked, you just need to warm it. Then, add the sauce and cook for a minute or so. Serve on top of your rice. Makes 2 HUGE or 4 good servings.